Catholic Diocese of Brownsville
“VERBUM MITTITUR SPIRANS AMOREM”
Palm Sunday – April 14
Mass schedule for the Basilica of Our Lady of San Juan del Valle-National Shrine for April 14, Palm Sunday:
• 7 a.m. – Father Jorge Gomez
• 9 a.m. – Father Horacio Chavarria
• 11 a.m. – Msgr. Juan Nicolau
• 1 p.m. – Father Jorge Gomez
• 3 p.m. – Father Jorge Gomez
• 5 p.m. – Father Henryk Kociolek
• 7 p.m. – Auxiliary Bishop Mario A. Avilés
Please check with your parish for local Palm Sunday schedules.
Lord, I Want to Walk With You – A Day of Spiritual Renewal
A day of spiritual renewal for those seeking to follow Jesus is set for 9 a.m.-5 p.m. April 13 at the Benedictine Monastery of the Good Shepherd in Rio Grande City. All are invited and RCIA or sacramental preparation and their sponsors are strongly urged to attend. Presented by the Benedictine Retreat Team, the retreat includes conferences and lunch; there will be an English and a Spanish track. To register, call (956) 486-2680 or email email@example.com; cost is $25. Registration deadline is April 8. The monastery is at 705 Monastery Lane in Rio Grande City.
Special Fish Fry: Lenten Lunch at the Basilica Café
The Basilica Café in San Juan will be selling tickets for fish fry plates starting on Ash Wednesday and every Friday during the Lenten season. Tickets are $8 per plate and include one large breaded Basa fish fillet, French fries, coleslaw, Texas toast and a can of soda.
Serving time is 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Dine-in, drive-thru and carry-out are all available. Tickets are available at the Basilica Gift shop, Information Office and the Basilica Cafe.
Divine Mercy Pilgrimage to Eastern Europe Dates Moved to Summer
Please note: The dates for this pilgrimage have changed from April 25-May 5 to July 8-18.
St. Therese of Lisieux Parish in San Benito, under the spiritual direction of Father Joe Villalón, is organizing a pilgrimage to five countries in Eastern Europe from July 8-18. The pilgrimage includes round-trip airfare from McAllen and stops in Poland, the Czech Republic, Austria, Slovakia and Hungary, with daily Mass and observance of the Divine Mercy Feast Day. Highlights include following the footsteps of St. John Paul and visits to Our Lady of Czestochowa, Our Lady of Kalwaria, St. Vitus and St. Wenceslao, the Infant Jesus of Prague, Our Lady of Svata Hora and St. Istvan’s Cave Church.
Cost per person is $3,990 per person (double occupancy) and includes airfare, 4-star hotels, breakfast and dinner, and tour leader in English and Spanish. Reserve your space today. For more information, contact Father Joe Villalón at (956) 399-3247 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Transcending Tours LLC of McAllen at (956) 651-0361 or email@example.com.
Catholic Daughters Wine & Cheese Event
The Catholic Daughters of the Americas Court #2425 from Los Fresnos invites all to their annual Wine & Cheese Event on Friday, April 26.
The event is held from 7 to 9 p.m. at the beautiful outdoor nature resort of The Inn at Chachalaca Bend in Los Fresnos.
Tickets are $20 per person and there will be silent auction items and door prizes as well for all participants. Please contact any CDOA Court Member or Regent – Leslie Gonzalez at (956) 466-2921, Juanita Yanez at (956) 434-7484, Andrea Gonzalez at (956) 357-2974, or Dr. Virginia Miller at (956) 572-3435 for ticket information.
McAllen Pregnancy Center’s Gala April 26
The McAllen Pregnancy Center’s 10th Anniversary Gala, “Fiesta de la Vida,” is set for Friday, April 26. The festivities begin with Bishop Daniel E. Flores celebrating Mass at 4:30 p.m. at St. Paul Church in Mission followed by the gala at 6 p.m. at Mission Event Center, 200 N. Shary Road in Mission.
Proceeds from the gala will support the operating costs of the center and renovations to a newly acquired building in downtown McAllen. Sponsorships and single tickets are available for the gala. Donation of silent auction items are needed. For more information, contact Lisa Franz at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (956) 342-3665.
Msgr. Barrera’s 40th Anniversary May 4
Msgr. Gustavo Barrera, pastor of Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church, will be celebrating the 40th anniversary of his priesthood May 4, 2019 with Holy Mass and Reception at 10 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Our Lady of Sorrows is located at 1108 Hackberry in McAllen. For more information, call the parish office at (956) 686-0251.
Job Openings – Diocese
• Information Technology (IT) Specialist – (full-time) – The Diocese of Brownsville is accepting employment applications for a full-time IT Specialist for the Pastoral Center in San Juan.
The primary function of this position is to provide information technology assistance to the Diocese of Brownsville Pastoral Centers as well as to the Diocese’s contracting entities.
Duties will include installing, upgrading and troubleshooting hardware and software components as needed; providing personnel with software and hardware technical support; helping install, upgrade, and configure network components; and assisting in supporting LAN jobs like user accounts, email, network printers, share folders, backups, etc.
o High school graduate with at least two years of college computer courses;
o At least two years’ experience as a computer technician;
o Willingness to learn new IT skills;
o Ability to communicate effectively in Spanish and English.
o ability to maintain effective working relationships with other diocesan employees, clergy, parish staffs, and general public.
o Driver’s license with a clean driving record.
Interested qualified candidates should contact Genie Treviño, director of Human Resources, at (956) 550-1545 or email@example.com
• Campus Ministry Coordinator (full-time) – The Diocese of Brownsville is accepting employment applications for a full time (40-hour) Campus Ministry Coordinator. Coordinate and facilitate prayer activities, study groups, retreats, service projects, and fellowship opportunities relevant to the needs of the students and diocese, while fostering an environment for shared leadership. Interested qualified candidates should contact Genie Treviño, director of Human Resources, at (956) 550-1545 or firstname.lastname@example.org and/or Campus Ministry Director Raul Cabrera at (956) 784-5045.
• Associate Director, Family Life Office (full-time) – The Diocese of Brownsville is accepting employment applications for a full-time associate director for the Family Life Office in San Juan. Presents and/or coordinates workshops to train parish couples for marriage preparation and marriage enrichment ministry. This position’s duties include:
o providing continuing education and resources to clergy, sponsor couples, and engaged encounter presenting couples to enhance marriage preparation;
o consulting regularly with parish staff responsible for marriage preparation;
o presenting and/or coordinating diocesan marriage preparation and marriage enrichment programs;
o assisting pastors to strengthen their ministry in the areas of marriage; preparation, marriage enrichment, ministry to troubled marriages, marriage education, and parenting;
o presenting and/or coordinating Family Ministry programs for all stages of Family Life Cycle: Engaged; Newly Married; Families with School-Aged Children: Adolescent Stage Families; Boomerang Families; Empty Nesters;
o collaborating with other Diocesan Formation Departments in providing/ presenting/coordinating Family Formation Programs.
Interested qualified candidates should contact Genie Treviño, director of Human Resources, at (956) 550-1545 or email@example.com. and/or Lydia Pesina, director of the Family Life Office, at (956) 784-5052.
• Intern – Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley – Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley has an opening for a Catholic Campaign For Human Development Internship.
Catholic Campaign for Human Development (CCHD) is the domestic anti-poverty social justice program of the United States Catholic Bishops. CCHD grants local anti-poverty efforts that are in close partnership with local Catholic dioceses an opportunity to improve their communities by supporting organizations led by low-income individuals. The CCHD internship position is an opportunity to gain experience working with and on behalf of the poor while learning more about social justice education, Catholic social teaching and poverty relief. Interns will have an opportunity to develop relationships with local community leaders and other CCHD interns across the United States.
We encourage those who have the following relevant areas of interest or study to apply: theology, communication, public service, sociology, social work, education, liberal arts, political science, and religious studies and more.
Please send resumes to Michelle Nuñez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Openings – Parishes
• Religious Outreach Coordinator (part-time) – St. Benedict Parish in San Benito is accepting applications for a part-time (25 hours a week) CRE or DRE.
The Religious Coordinator is a parish minister who provides leadership in the design and implementation of catechetical programs for adults, youth and children to assist in building a solid foundation for adult spirituality, Christian living, ministry and outreach.
– Articulates vision within the parish community;
– plans curriculum;
– recruits and forms catechists;
– administers programs;
– pursues professional development;
– supervises all personnel involved with catechesis including catechists, assistant catechists, coordinators, clerks and volunteers.
QUALIFICATIONS: The Religious Education Coordinator is expected to have capabilities in: Theology, Program Development, Catechist Development, Education, Communication and Relationship, Administration and Management.
The Coordinator of Religious Education is expected to have a minimum of three years teaching experience in a Catholic school or equivalent and at least one year of paid administrative experience. If not currently certified, a commitment to complete certification is required.
Interested qualified candidates should contact St. Benedict’s parish office at (956) 626-1260.
• Secretary Receptionist (full-time) – St. Francis Xavier Parish in La Feria is accepting applications for a full-time (40 hours) secretary/receptionist. This person will provide technical and clerical support to the pastor and staff by performing the following secretarial/receptionist duties on a full time basis:
– answering incoming calls;
– referring telephone calls and incoming visitors to appropriate personnel, and if not available, taking messages;
– scheduling Mass intentions;
– copying and duplicating material;
– preparing correspondence;
– assisting with assembling articles for parish bulletin;
– taking registration for new parishioners;
– keeping records of ministries and organizations of the church on the parish calendar;
– taking care of the church religious articles offered for sale;
– organizing and safeguarding archives of parish records;
– other related duties.
Interested qualified candidates should contact the parish office at (956) 797-2666.
Job Openings – Catholic Schools
Opening at Our Lady of Sorrows School in McAllen
• Principal – Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic School – McAllen
Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic School is seeking applicants for the position of principal for the 2019-2020 academic year. A Catholic elementary school, which serves approximately 450 students, grades PK-3 through 8th, is located in McAllen, Texas. Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic School embraces a traditional Catholic identity and is fully integrated into the life of Our Lady of Sorrows Church.
Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic School seeks a visionary principal to sustain a tradition of continuous improvement within an effective learning environment for students. A principal, who has high expectations, fosters teamwork and parental involvement. The principal is a person who must be resourceful, is able to multi-task, is present and involved, and is dedicated to the spiritual and educational formation of the children. The candidate must demonstrate a working knowledge of elementary education, strong administrative and communication skills, and a commitment to collaborating with pastoral staff, parents and faculty.
• Catholic in good standing with a commitment to ongoing formation in spiritual leadership
• Master’s Degree with 18 credit hours in educational administration and supervision
• A minimum of three years of successful teaching experience in a Catholic school
• Three to five years administrative experience in a Catholic school setting is preferred
Special Skills and Abilities:
• Strong leadership skills and demonstrated ability at working with multiple constituencies within a parish and school community
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Exceptional public relations skills
• Curriculum development skills
• Budgeting and financial management experience
• Excellent organizational skills
• Technology proficient
• Experience in engaging the external community for the benefit of the school
Interested applicants should contact Mary Latigo of the Catholic School Office at (956) 784-5051 for an application.
Please submit the following information:
• Letter of intent/interest
• Essay and Official Transcripts.
Please send all requested information to:
Sister Cynthia A. Mello, SSD
Superintendent of Catholic Schools – Diocese of Brownsville
700 N. Virgen de San Juan
San Juan, Texas 78589
Telephone: (956) 784- 5051 – (956) 784-5081
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. Position begins July 1, 2019.
Opening at Saint Joseph Academy in Brownsville
• High School Math Teacher – to facilitate student learning and assessment, supervise students, guaranteeing their safety and compliance with school rules and policies, and participate in the ongoing development of the school’s program of studies.
– An understanding of the mission of SJA and the value of Catholic secondary education
– Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution of higher education
– Valid Secondary Education Certification
– Must have strong written and oral communication skills
– At least 5 years of teaching experience preferred
For more information or to apply, send your résumé, letter of interest, and references to:
Melissa Valadez, Principal
101 Saint Joseph Dr.
Brownsville, TX 78520
Opening at the Pharr Oratory of St. Philip Neri School System. Please submit resume and college degree transcript with application (www.oratoryschools.org/job-opportunities)
• Middle School Science Teacher – classroom experienced and certified in content area.
Send all the information to Sylvia Diaz, email@example.com, Fax: (956) 787-1516; phone: (956) 781-3056
Openings at Juan Diego Academy in Mission.
Juan Diego Academy is accepting teaching (full and/or part-time) applications for the 2019 – 2020 school year:
• Technology Applications/Technology Education
• Language Arts
• Social Studies
• Athletic Director (full-time w/coaching responsibilities)
• Head Volleyball Coach and Head or Asst. Track
• Bus Driver
Master’s degree preferred (not required) / Dual Credit Teaching Assignments will be available.
SBEC Certification preferred (not required).
Interested individuals should complete the Juan Diego Academy employment application:
1. Completed application.
2. College transcript(s).
4. Three letters of recommendation.
5. Most recent summative evaluation.
6. Copy of service record(s).
7. Fingerprinting and criminal background check.
Gerald Lugaresi, Principal
Juan Diego Academy High School
P.O. Box 3888
Mission, TX 78573
Submit information to be included in the Weekly Update to Brenda Nettles Riojas, Director of Diocesan Relations, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to (956) 784-5082.