Catholic Diocese of Brownsville
“VERBUM MITTITUR SPIRANS AMOREM”
Chancellor’s Office Announces Appointments/Changes
Effective Jan. 7, 2019
• Rev. Thomas Luczak, OFM, relieved as Pastor of Sacred Heart Parish in McAllen.
• Rev. Terrence Gorski, OFM, relieved as Parochial Vicar of Sacred Heart Parish in McAllen.
Effective Feb. 11
• Rev. Paul Roman appointed Parish Administrator of St. Anne, Mother of Mary Parish in Pharr. Retaining current assignment as Chaplain for Hospital Ministry. Relieved as in-residence at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish in McAllen.
• Rev. Jesus E. Paredes appointed Pastor of Sacred Heart Parish in McAllen. Relieved as Pastor of St. Paul the Apostle Parish in Rio Grande City.
Rio Grande Valley March for Life – Feb. 2
Join Bishop Daniel E. Flores and Auxiliary Bishop Mario A. Avilés for the Annual Rio Grande Valley Rally and March for Life on Feb. 2. The rally will begin at 9 a.m. at St. Joseph the Worker Church at 900 S. 23rd St. in McAllen. After the rally, the march will proceed peacefully to Sacred Heart Church to show love and support for the wonderful gift of every human life. Marchers will be praying along the way and singing hymns of praise and exultation. If you have a Pro-Life group or a prayer group and would like to help lead different prayers and hymns, please contact Melissa Beltran (956) 578-3452, firstname.lastname@example.org or (956) 783-1196.
Our Lady of San Juan del Valle Feast Day Triduum
¡Nos gustaría brindarles una invitación a ustedes y a sus comunidades parroquiales para que nos acompañen el día sábado, 2 de febrero de 2019, a celebrar la Fiesta de la Presentación del niño Jesús en el Templo, el aniversario de nuestro Obispo Daniel E. Flores y por último a celebrar la Fiesta de Nuestra Señora de San Juan!
• Jueves, 31 de enero – Misa presidia por Padre Jorge Gómez – 5:30 p.m.
• Viernes, 1 de febrero – Misa presidia por Padre Ariel O. Angel – 5:30 p.m.
• Sábado, 2 de febrero – La procesión comenzará en el estadio de PSJA, 703 E. Sam Houston St. en Pharr – 4 p.m.
• Sábado, 2 de febrero – Misa con el Obispo Daniel E. Flores – 5:30 p.m. Fiesta de la Presentación del Señor / Nuestra Señora de San Juan del Valle; las familias y los niños están invitados a traer a su Niño Jesus para ser benedictos al final de la Misa. Los matachines caminarán durante la procesión danzarán después de la Misa.
Feast of the Presentation of Jesus and of Our Lady of San Juan del Valle
We would like to extend an invitation to you and your parish community to join us on Saturday, Feb. 2 at the Basilica of Our Lady of San Juan del Valle-National Shrineas we celebrate the feast of the Presentation of Jesus in the Temple, the anniversary of our Bishop Daniel E. Flores and lastly to celebrate the Feast of Our Lady of San Juan!
• Thursday, Jan. 31 – Mass with Father Jorge Gomez – 5:30 p.m.
• Friday, Feb. 1 – Mass with Father Ariel O. Angel – 5:30 p.m.
• Saturday, Feb. 2 – Procession starting at PSJA Stadium, 703 E. Sam Houston St. in Pharr to the Basilica – 4 p.m.
• Saturday, Feb. 2 – Mass at the Basilica with Bishop Daniel E. Flores – 5:30 p.m. Feast of the Presentation of Jesus, and Our Lady of San Juan del Valle. Families and children are invited to bring their Baby Jesus to be blessed at the end of Mass. Matachines will walk during the procession and perform after Mass.
All parish groups are invited to participate!
RGV World Youth Day 2019 – Feb. 2 in Mission
A Rio Grande Valley World Youth Day celebration, the Light of Hope – RGV World Youth Day 2019 is set for 8 a.m.- 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 2, at Mission Event Center, 200 North Shary Road in Mission. For ages 16-35, the event will feature keynote speakers, breakout sessions in English and Spanish, music, food and much more.
Breakout sessions on:
• New Evangelization / Discipleship
• Gender Identity
• Ser Misionero/a en tu comunidad
• Catholic Social Teaching
• Health and Spirituality
• Ventajas de Ser Católico
• Vocational Discernment
• Care for Creation
• Staying Catholic in College and Beyond
• Dignity of Life
Bishop Daniel E. Flores will address the “Young Church.” Also, Divine Mercy Chaplet, Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, Holy Mass presided by Auxiliary Bishop Mario A. Avilés. Food, music, and much more. Admission is free, with an optional $5 donation at the door to benefit the Food Bank RGV. Sponsored by the Office of Campus and Young Adult Ministry and the Office of Youth Ministry of the Catholic Diocese of Brownsville. For more information, call Dora Rodriguez-Rosa at (956) 784-5032.
Voices United Informational Conference Feb. 2
The Voices United Informational Conference is set for 9 a.m.-12 noon, Feb. 2 at Our Lady of Assumption Parish in Harlingen. Stay updated with laws in Texas and know your rights. Registration and breakfast in a safe environment. The conference is free and open to the public, and will be conducted in Spanish by Rosa Sanluis of Fuerza del Valle and Sister Norma Pimentel of Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley. Our Lady of Assumption Parish is located at 1313 W. Buchanan St. in Harlingen. For more information, call Rosa Sanluis at (956) 990-1550.
Bereavement Support – A Journey from Grief to Healing
Holy Family Church Bereavement Community Support Group invites the community to a seminar, “What You May Need When Your Loved One Passes On,” on Saturday, Feb. 2 in Edinburg. The presenter, attorney Aurelio Garza, will talk on these topics:
• Incapacitation of you or your loved one
• affidavit of heirship
• medical directive
• medical and general power of attorney
A question and answer period of 15 minutes will follow, and funeral pre-planning pamphlets will be distributed. The seminar is scheduled for 9:30-11 a.m. in the Old CCD Building classroom of Holy Family Church, 1302 E. Champion in Edinburg. Due to limited space, please register as soon as possible with Mary Villarreal at (956) 219-3132 or Esmeralda Tamez at (956) 778-1958.
Meet With Brighthouse Representative Feb. 6 and 7
Michael Gonzalez will visit our Diocese again in February. He is our Brighthouse representative for employees who still have funds with them. He will be at the St. Paul classroom in San Juan from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 6, and in the conference room of our Chancery Office from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 7. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your funds, please stop by and visit with Mr. Gonzalez at one of these locations.
Pro-Life Training – Last Line of Defense – Feb. 8
Come and learn a very effective method of sidewalk counseling! Come discover how the Catholic Pro-Life Committee of the Diocese of Dallas has been successful in the pro-life movement. You will learn the same methods and help end abortion in the Rio Grande Valley. Training and materials are free. Meeting is at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 8. Contact Melissa Beltran (956) 578-3452 or visit https://www.prolifergv.com.
Register Now for World Marriage Day – Feb. 9
Bishop Daniel E. Flores will mark World Marriage Day by celebrating Mass at 2 p.m. Feb. 9 at the Basilica of Our Lady of San Juan del Valle-National Shrine. This will be a Mass of Thanksgiving for couples who bear witness to God’s love through their love and commitment to each other through the sacrament of Matrimony, and are celebrating a wedding anniversary of 10, 25, 30, 40, 50 , 60 or more during 2019. To register for this event, call the Family Life Office at (956) 784-5012 as soon as possible.
Sing to the Lord – Music in Divine Worship: Musicians Workshop Feb. 9
A Musicians Workshop sponsored by the Office of Liturgy and Worship of the Diocese of Brownsville is set for Saturday, Feb. 9 at the Bishop Marx Conference Center at the Pastoral Center in San Juan. The workshop begins at 9 a.m. and ends with Holy Mass at noon. Deadline to register for the workshop is Monday, Feb. 4. For more information or to register, call Rosa Gonzalez of the Office of Liturgy and Worship at (956) 784-5013; her email is email@example.com.
Introduction to Divine Will – Feb. 9 in Edinburg
Laity, deacons and priests all are invited to “Introduction to Divine Will,” presented by the Rev. Alfonso M. Guevara E.V., pastor of St. John the Baptist Parish in San Juan. Panelists include Deacon Luis A. Treviño of Holy Spirit Church and Mary Guzman, Divine Will Advocate. The presentation is set for 9 a.m.-noon Feb. 9 at the Parish Hall classroom of Holy Family Church, 1302 E. Champion in Edinburg. Pre-registration required by calling Mary Villarreal at (956) 878-9389, or Vel Coleby at (956) 358-8257. Registration is at 8:30 a.m. and continental breakfast will be provided.
Annual Diocesan Appeal
The 2018 Diocesan Appeal, which provides Bishop Daniel E. Flores with discretionary funding for urgent local needs around the diocese, is coming to a close at the end of January. All funds raised remain in the diocese, with 30 percent returned as rebates directly to their parish of origin, and the remaining 70 percent disbursed as needed in the form of grants.
Envelopes for the appeal were previously distributed at the parish level and can be returned until Jan. 31; pledges can be fulfilled in a single payment or in installments after the deadline if envelopes are returned before the date. All contributions are tax-deductible.
For an envelope or for more information, call Jesse Salinas of the Development Office of the Diocese of Brownsville at (956) 784-5095.
Good Grief: An 8-Week Course for Grief Ministry (Death and Divorce)
Facilitator training for dealing with death and divorce continues this month and next. This course highlights some of the Ministry Programs available that can be facilitated in parishes, to help those who have lost a loved one through death or a spouse through divorce.
Participants will …
• be introduced to two Grief Programs:
1) “The New Day Program” for persons who have lost a loved one;
2) “Divorce and Beyond” for persons who have lost a spouse through divorce;
• study the stages of grief;
• reflect and share on their own experience of dealing with loss;
• complete written homework assignments;
• practice facilitation skills (role play both as a participant and as a facilitator);
• write a proposal to their pastor for a grief program.
San Juan Diego Diocesan Ministry Institute, 700 N. Virgen de San Juan Blvd. in San Juan.
7- 9 p.m.
Week #1: Tuesday, Jan. 22
Week #2: Tuesday, Jan. 29
Week #3: Tuesday, Feb. 5
Week #4: Tuesday, Feb. 12
Week #5: Tuesday, Feb. 19
Week #6: Tuesday, Feb. 26
Week #7: Tuesday, March 5
Week #8: Tuesday, March 19
Young Disciples at Home – Pre-Event to World Youth Day
All parishes and ages welcome to Young Disciples at Home with Oscar Rivera Jr., a free event on “Pre-Event Night,” 6:30-8 p.m. Friday Feb. 1 at Immaculate Conception Church, 101 E. Third St. in Rio Grande City.
How to Live the Catholic Family Life – Pre-Event to World Youth Day
Noche Previa al Evento: Cómo vivir como familias católicas con Rafael Diaz viernes 1 de febrero, 6:30-8 p.m., St. Anthony Parish, 209 S. 10th St., Harlingen.
¡Todas las parroquias y edades bienvenidos! Entrada gratuita.
World Day for Consecrated Life is Feb. 10
Bishop Daniel E. Flores will celebrate Mass in honor of World Day for Consecrated Life at 3 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 10 at the Basilica of Our Lady of San Juan del Valle-National Shrine. All religious priests, sisters and brothers are invited to attend. For more information, contact Sister Norma Pimentel, co-vicar of religious, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (956) 702-4088.
Mark your calendar
Train the Trainers Sessions Planned for February
There will be a Train the Trainers for “Protecting God’s Children” on Feb. 5 or on Feb. 9 from 10 a.m.-12 noon at the Madonna Room in the Bishop Fitzpatrick Building in San Juan. This class is for those who would like to present this program in their parish for religious educational staff and parents. It is also for current facilitators who would like a refresher.
You may attend either day and be certified to train. There is no cost for the training.
To attend, please e-mail email@example.com or call his cell at (956) 457-0010 and let him know you would like to attend. This is needed so that he can have enough material for the participants in English or Spanish.
Annual Valentine’s Day Dinner, Dance and Auction in Port Isabel
Our Lady Star of the Sea Parish is holding its annual Valentine’s Day Fundraiser on Saturday, Feb. 9 at the Isla Grand Beach Resort Ballroom. Music will be provided by “The Latin Knights Band.” Donation is $50 per person; sponsorships are also available. Come join us! We want to share our coastal joy and hospitality with all! For more information, call the parish at (956) 943-1297 or follow us on Facebook.
Feb. 10: Get Ready for Scout Sunday
All scouts, scouters and families are invited to celebrate Scout Sunday Mass on 11 a.m. Feb. 10 at the Basilica of Our Lady of San Juan del Valle-National Shrine. Only those scouts preparing to receive religious emblems will have reserved assigned seating in order to expedite the awards presentation immediately following the Mass. For more information, please contact the Office of Youth Ministry at (956) 784-5032 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Noche de Mariachi Feb. 16 in Weslaco
St. Joan of Arc Parish in Weslaco will be hosting Noche de Mariachi at 7 p.m. on Feb. 16. Entertainment will be provided by Estrellas del Valle and Maraichi 7 Leguas. Admission tickets are $25 person (dinner included). Tickets are available at the parish office. For more information, please call Jose Figueroa at (956) 463-1576 or the church office at (956) 968-3670.
Truck Raffle at St. Francis Xavier Church in La Feria
St. Francis Xavier Church in La Feria is raffling a 2019 Chevy Colorado Truck on Feb. 16. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased at St. Francis Xavier church office. We will raffle the truck on Fiesta de la Feria Day in downtown La Feria. For tickets and more information, call the parish office at (956) 797-2666. Need not be present to win.
Conferencia Carismática con Padre Ivan Alvarado, C.C., Hermanas Discípulas de Jesús y Mons. Rev. Mario A. Avilés.
• Fecha y horario: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. sábado 23 de febrero y 9 a.m.- 2 p.m. domingo 24 de febrero
• Lugar: Mission Event Center, 200 N. Shary Road, Mission
• Donativo: $10; $5 menores de 12 años.
Para más información, llame la oficina de la parróquia San Juan Bautista a (956) 783-1196.
Ninth Annual Divine Mercy Conference
The Ninth Annual Divine Mercy Conference is set for Saturday, Feb. 23 in Weslaco.
• Time: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Site: Weslaco Performing Arts Center; 506 E. 6th St., Weslaco, Texas
• Speakers: – Most Rev. Daniel E. Flores, Bishop of the Diocese of Brownsville
– John Michael Talbot, Catholic Artist, Speaker, Singer, Composer
– Father Jeffrey Kirby, Priest, Speaker, Author
Early Registration: $35 per person; lunch included
Early Registration Deadline: Monday, Feb. 18
Late and On-Site Registration: $40 per person
Tickets may be purchased online at www.fomm.us or through Eventbrite. Tickets are also on sale at the Fountain of Mercy Ministries, located at 448 S. Texas Blvd. in Weslaco. For more information, call (956) 351-5978 or (956) 351-5952.
Peregrinación a la Tierra Santa el Mes de Marzo
Parroquia de la iglesia de Nuestro Padre Celestial, Olmito, ofrece una invitación a toda la diócesis a aquellos que desean ir a una peregrinación a la tierra santa el mes de marzo 11-20. Contactarse con Claudio (956) 651-0361 o Gabriela (956) 624-1024.
Lord, I Want to Walk With You – A Day of Spiritual Renewal
A day of spiritual renewal for those seeking to follow Jesus is set for 9 a.m.-5 p.m. April 13 at the Benedictine Monastery of the Good Shepherd in Rio Grande City. All are invited and RCIA or sacramental preparation and their sponsors are strongly urged to attend. Presented by the Benedictine Retreat Team, the retreat includes conferences and lunch; there will be an English and a Spanish track. To register, call (956) 486-2680 or email email@example.com; cost is $25. Registration deadline is April 8. The monastery is at 705 Monastery Lane in Rio Grande City.
Pilgrimage to Spain, Portugal and France
Father Luis F. Sánchez and St. Pius X in Weslaco are organizing an 11-day pilgrimage from April 22 through May 2. The pilgrimage will begin at Fatima, Portugal followed by stops in Santiago de Compostela, Lourdes, and Barcelona. The total cost for the trip, includes roundtrip air fare, hotel, tour bus, and two daily meals, is $3,890. Father Luis F. Sánchez will serve as Spiritual Director. Those interested in this pilgrimage should call the parish office at (956) 968-7471 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Divine Mercy Pilgrimage to Eastern Europe Set for Late Spring
St. Therese of Lisieux Parish in San Benito, under the spiritual direction of Father Joe Villalón, is organizing a pilgrimage to five countries in Eastern Europe from April 25-May 5. The pilgrimage includes round-trip airfare from McAllen and stops in Poland, the Czech Republic, Austria, Slovakia and Hungary, with daily Mass and observance of the Divine Mercy Feast Day. Highlights include following the footsteps of St. John Paul and visits to Our Lady of Czetochowa, Our Lady of Kalwaria, St. Vitus and St. Wenceslao, the Infant Jesus of Prague, Our Lady of Svata Hora and St. Istvan’s Cave Church.
Cost per person is $3,990 per person (double occupancy) and includes airfare, 4-star hotels, breakfast and dinner, and tour leader in English and Spanish. Reserve your space today. For more information, contact Father Joe Villalón at (956) 399-3247 or email@example.com, or Transcending Tours LLC of McAllen at (956) 651-0361 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Retirement Fund for Religious (RFR) Collection
Donations from the Retirement Fund for Religious collection Dec. 8-9, 2018 should be sent to the Diocese of Brownsville accounting office so they can be forwarded to the RFR office for processing and acknowledgement. Funds for the collection are due at the national office by March 31.
Job Openings – Diocese
• Freelance Writer/Reporter – The Communications Office of the Diocese of Brownsville is seeking a writer to report and write feature and news stories for publication in The Valley Catholic newspaper and posting on the diocesan website and social media outlets. Journalism experience preferred. Writers with samples should contact Paul Binz, communications associate, by email at email@example.com or by phone at (956) 784-5055.
• Intern – Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley – Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley has an opening for a Catholic Campaign For Human Development Internship.
Catholic Campaign for Human Development (CCHD) is the domestic anti-poverty social justice program of the United States Catholic Bishops. CCHD grants local anti-poverty efforts that are in close partnership with local Catholic dioceses an opportunity to improve their communities by supporting organizations led by low-income individuals. The CCHD internship position is an opportunity to gain experience working with and on behalf of the poor while learning more about social justice education, Catholic social teaching and poverty relief. Interns will have an opportunity to develop relationships with local community leaders and other CCHD interns across the United States.
We encourage those who have the following relevant areas of interest or study to apply: theology, communication, public service, sociology, social work, education, liberal arts, political science, and religious studies and more.
Please send resumes to Michelle Nuñez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Openings – Parishes
• Director of Religious Education (part-time) – San Pedro. This is a part-time position under the direct supervision of the parochial administrator. Responsibilities include maintaining a comprehensive parish catechetical program for children, youth and adults in both Spanish and English. Please submit résumé by mail to P.O. Box 1658, Olmito, Texas 78575, or in person at the parish office at 7602 Old Military Hwy. in Brownsville.
• Receptionist (part-time) – St. Joseph the Worker Parish in McAllen is accepting employment applications for a part-time (20-hour per week) receptionist. Interested qualified candidates may be referred to Gloria Morales email@example.com
Job Openings – Catholic Schools
Opening at Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic School in McAllen
• Middle School ELA Teacher – Middle School ELA teacher needed immediately. Part- time or full-time available. Grades 6, 7, 8. Apply at Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic School, 1100 Gumwood Ave. McAllen. For more information, call (956) 686-3651.
Opening at Saint Joseph Academy in Brownsville
• High School Math Teacher – to facilitate student learning and assessment, supervise students, guaranteeing their safety and compliance with school rules and policies, and participate in the ongoing development of the school’s program of studies.
– An understanding of the mission of SJA and the value of Catholic secondary education
– Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution of higher education
– Valid Secondary Education Certification
– Must have strong written and oral communication skills
– At least 5 years of teaching experience preferred
For more information or to apply, send your résumé, letter of interest, and references to:
Melissa Valadez, Principal
101 Saint Joseph Dr.
Brownsville, TX 78520
Opening at the Pharr Oratory of St. Philip Neri School System. Please submit resume and college degree transcript with application (www.oratoryschools.org/job-opportunities)
• Middle School Science Teacher – classroom experienced and certified in content area.
Send all the information to Sylvia Diaz, firstname.lastname@example.org, Fax: (956) 787-1516; phone: (956) 781-3056
Openings at Juan Diego Academy in Mission.
Juan Diego Academy is accepting teaching (full and/or part-time) applications for the 2019 – 2020 school year:
• Technology Applications/Technology Education
• Health Science/Health Science Technology Education/Life Science
• Theater Arts
• Choral Music
• Language Arts
• Social Studies
• Athletic Director (full-time w/coaching responsibilities)
• Tennis Coach
• Head Volleyball Coach and Head or Asst. Track
Master’s degree preferred (not required) / Dual Credit Teaching Assignments will be available.
SBEC Certification preferred (not required).
Interested individuals should complete the Juan Diego Academy employment application:
1. Completed application.
2. College transcript(s).
4. Three letters of recommendation.
5. Most recent summative evaluation.
6. Copy of service record(s).
7. Fingerprinting and criminal background check.
Gerald Lugaresi, Principal
Juan Diego Academy High School
P.O. Box 3888
Mission, TX 78573
Calendar of Events
• Feb. 1 – Young Disciples at Home – Pre-Event to World Youth Day at Immaculate Conception Church in Rio Grande City.
• Feb. 1 – How to Live the Catholic Family Life – Pre-Event to World Youth Day at St. Anthony Parish in Harlingen.
• Feb. 2 – Annual Rio Grande Valley Rally and March for Life sets off at 9 a.m. at St. Joseph the Worker Church and proceeds to Sacred Heart Church in downtown McAllen.
• Feb. 2 – Feast of the Presentation of Jesus, and Our Lady of San Juan del Valle and Bishop Daniel E. Flores anniversary: Triduum continues with procession starting 4 p.m. at PSJA Stadium in Pharr to the Basilica, then Mass at 5:30 p.m. at the Basilica.
• Feb. 2 – Rio Grande Valley World Youth Day 2019 at Mission Event Center in Mission.
• Feb. 2 –Voices United Informational Conference Saturday morning at Our Lady of Assumption Parish in Harlingen.
• Feb. 2 – Bereavement seminar, “What You May Need When Your Loved One Passes On,” at Holy Family Church in Edinburg with attorney Aurelio Garza presenting.
• Feb. 5 – Train the Trainers for “Protecting God’s Children” at the Madonna Room in the Bishop Fitzpatrick Building in San Juan.
Submit information to be included in the Weekly Update to Brenda Nettles Riojas, Director of Diocesan Relations, by e-mail at email@example.com or by fax to (956) 784-5082.