New priest to be Ordained Saturday in Brownsville
Bishop Daniel E. Flores will ordain Deacon Oscar Ortega to the priesthood at 10 a.m. Saturday, June 9, at St. Joseph Church, 555 West St. Francis St. All are welcome to attend and receive a blessing from the diocese’s newest priest.
A native of Reynosa, Deacon Ortega, 40, received a master’s of divinity in May from the University of St. Thomas School of Theology at St. Mary’s Seminary in Houston.
The Ordination Mass will be streamed live from our website www.cdob.org
National Workshop from FDLC on the Misal Romano, Tercera Edición
A reminder that the Diocese of Brownsville will be hosting a national workshop on the Misal Romano, tercera edición which will be presented by the Federation of Diocesan Liturgical Commissions (FDLC) on Tuesday, June 5 in the Bishop Marx Conference Center in San Juan. Two opportunities are as follows:
Workshop A (Clergy and Lay Leaders): 1-4 p.m.
Workshop B (Musicians): 6:30-9:30 p.m.
In order to help us with preparations for the day we would like for those who will be attending to register online as soon as possible by visiting https://fdlc.org/misalworkshops. Both workshops are bilingual. Cost is $35 which can be paid via debit/credit card or by check.
Congreso Eucarístico Para Las Familias Programado Para Junio
El “Congreso Eucarístico para las Familias” se lleva a cabo el 8-9 de junio en la Parroquia Nuestra Señora del Perpetuo Socorro en McAllen.
Horario de eventos
viernes, 8 de junio y sábado, 9 de junio: Rafael Piña con Diplomados en Sagradas Escrituras y Teología Bíblica
Para mayor información acerca del Congreso, se puede comunicar con el Diácono Santos Chapa (956) 651-2354
Ride for Hope Set for June 10
Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley and Sisters on Wheels, with the support of the Diocese of Brownsville, invites everyone to participate in a 20-mile bicycle ride or 5K Run to benefit the construction of the Humanitarian Respite Center in downtown McAllen.
The Ride for Hope is scheduled to begin at 8 a.m. Sunday, June 10, starting at the Old Hidalgo Pumphouse Park, located adjacent to the border wall, 902 S. 2nd. St., Hidalgo. Cyclists will ride a route along three cities: Hidalgo, Mission and McAllen. The route will end at the site of the future humanitarian respite center on the corner of Chicago Street and 16th Street in McAllen.
For non-cyclists, the option of a 5K walk or run along the Old Hidalgo Pumphouse border trail to enjoy a scenic path sure to impress all participants.
The donation per participant is $35. The first 100 individuals who register will receive a free event t-shirt. To register online, visit www.myraceregistration.com/rideforhope.
For more information, call (956) 884-7801.
Campus & Young Adult Ministry Summer Retreat Set for June 22-24
Young adults ages 21-39 are invited to a weekend retreat themed “For the Least.” It will take place June 22-24 at Holy Spirit Retreat Center in McAllen. Cost of $75 (early bird $60 by June 11) includes overnight lodging and meals. For more information and to sign up, please visit www.cdob.org/yaoutreach or call Raul Cabrera at (956) 784-5045.
Pro-Life Conference: ‘Life Matters’ in Weslaco
“Life Matters,” a Pro-Life conference, is set for Saturday, June 23 at St. Pius X Church in Weslaco. Bishop Daniel E. Flores is scheduled to deliver the keynote address; other speakers include sidewalk counselors and women who have benefitted from post-abortion healing ministry.
“Life Matters” will be from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at St. Pius X Parish at 600 S. Oklahoma Ave. in Weslaco. Admission is free. For more information, call the parish office at (956) 968-7471.
Mark your calendar
Train the Trainers Session Planned for July
Walter Lukaszek will offer a summer “Train the Trainers for Protecting God’s Children,” for those interested in becoming facilitators in your parish, from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, July 14 at the Bishop Fitzpatrick building, Madonna Room in San Juan. There is no charge. Please reserve your attendance by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call Walter Lukaszek (956) 457-0010 (cell). Please provide name, language preferred and contact information. Reservations are strongly encouraged to ensure space and materials will be available.
Entrenamiento Para el Programa Protegiendo a los Niños de Dios
Walter Lukaszek estará ofreciendo un curso de verano “Como impartir el programa para proteger a los hijos de Dios”, este programa es para aquellos que están interesados en ser facilitadores en su parroquia. Este curso se llevara a cabo el día 14 de Junio 2018 de 10:00 am-12:00 pm, en el edificio Bishop John Fitzpatrick, Sala Madonna en San Juan. No hay ningún cargo, solo se necesita saber quién vendrá para que haya folletos suficientes. Por favor reserve su asistencia por correo electrónico: email@example.com o llame a Walter Lukaszek al (956) 457-0010 (celular). Necesita el nombre, el idioma preferido y la información de contacto.
Fighting Hunger: Girls Stewardship Retreat Set For Mid-July
One in five school-age children in Texas don’t have enough food to eat. Girls from 12-16 years old can learn how to fight hunger in their communities at the 3rd Annual Girls Stewardship Retreat at the Food Bank of the Rio Grande Valley. Topics will include how food is grown, harvested and distributed.
The retreat is set for 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, July 14, at the Food Bank of the Rio Grande Valley, 724 N. Cage Blvd. in Pharr. For more information or to register, contact the Stewardship & Development Office at (956) 784-5095 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Natural Family Planning Seminars Offered
Learn about the scientifically proven Billings Ovulation Method®, which allows couples to plan their families and manage fertility naturally. The seminar provides instruction on:
• Postponing pregnancy
• Achieving pregnancy -for couples with infertility problems
• Monitoring women’s reproductive health
The seminars will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at St. John the Baptist Parish, 216 W. First St. in San Juan. Donation is $25.
Choose one date (All dates fall on a Saturday)
English: June 9, Aug. 11, Oct. 13, Dec. 8
Spanish: July 14, Sept. 8, Nov. 10
To register, call Lydia Mendez at (956) 534-4895. Online registration is also available at www.simplenatural.org/events/
June Pilgrimage to the Holy Land, Assisi and Rome Planned
Father Arturo Cardenas, parochial vicar of Parish of the Lord of Divine Mercy in Brownsville, is organizing a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, Assisi and Rome from June 15-28. The cost is $4,390 and includes round-trip flight from McAllen, four-star hotel accommodations, English/Spanish-speaking tour guides, deluxe coach ground transportation and more. For more information or to make a reservation, call (956) 800-2433 or email email@example.com
Summer Pilgrimage to Italy set for July 16-26
Father Carlos Zuniga and St. Pius X Church in Weslaco are organizing a pilgrimage from July 16-26. The pilgrimage will begin at St. Peter’s Square, at the Basilica of St. John the Lateran, Rome. The pilgrimage includes visits to San Giovanni Rotondo, Lanciano, Assisi, Siena, and Loreto. The total cost for the trip, which includes roundtrip airfare, hotel, tour bus, and two daily meals, is $3,590. Father Carlos Zuniga will serve as spiritual director. Those interested in this pilgrimage should call the parish office at (956) 968-7471 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Marian Sanctuaries Pilgrimage Scheduled June 30-July 7
Our Lady, Queen of Angels Catholic Church, in La Joya, under the spiritual direction of Father Jesse Garza, is organizing a pilgrimage to some of the most important Marian Shrines in Mexico from June 30- July 7 (Saturday to Saturday). The pilgrimage includes airfare from/to Reynosa/Cd. de Mexico. We will visit Coyoacán, Xochimilco, Guadalupe, San Juan De Los Lagos, Cristo Rey, San Miguel de Allende, Atotonilco, Santa Rosa de Viterbo, Schoenstatt, etc. Price is $990 pp/dbl. A passport (book for Americans) is required. For additional information contact the parish office at (956) 585-5223 or Aida at (956) 227-8192.
Pilgrimage to Holy Land, Jordan Nov. 19-30
Father Francisco Solis, pastor of St. Joan of Arc Parish in Weslaco, is leading a pilgrimage to the Holy Land and Jordan, which will include visits to key biblical sites. Cost per person is $4,369 per person (double occupancy) and includes airfare, ground transportation, hotel, meals, tours and more. Reserve your space today. For more information, contact St. Joan of Arc Parish at (956) 968-3670.
• Secretary (full-time) – The Diocese of Brownsville is accepting employment applications for a secretary position primarily assigned to the Family Life Office. Interested qualified candidates should contact Genie Treviño, director of Human Resources, at email@example.com.
• Receptionist (full-time) – The Diocese of Brownsville is currently accepting employment applications for a full-time receptionist for the Chancery Office. Interested qualified candidates should contact Genie Treviño, director of Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Secretary (part-time) – St. Joseph Parish in Edinburg. Applicant must be skilled in Microsoft Office and have at least six months of experience working in a pastoral environment. Interested candidates may call Christina Cortez at (956) 383-3728 or email résumé to email@example.com
• Director of Religious Education (full time) – Our Lady of Sorrows Parish in McAllen is seeking a director of religious education focusing on elementary, middle school, and RCIA for children. Salary plus benefits. This full-time position is under the supervision of the pastor. Submit letter of interest and resume by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, including job description visit: http://www.oladyofsorrows.org/employment-oportunities.html
• Associate Director, Family Life Office – The Diocese of Brownsville is accepting applications for an associate director of the Family Life Office. Interested qualified candidates may contact Lydia Pesina, director of the Family Life Office, at email@example.com or Genie Treviño, director of human resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Director of Religious Education (part-time) – St. Paul Parish in Mission. This is a part-time position under the direct supervision of the pastor. Responsibilities include maintaining a comprehensive parish catechetical program for children, youth and adults. Please submit résumé by mail 1119 Francisco Ave., Mission, TX 78572; fax (956) 581-4801 or in person at the parish office.
• Chaplain – Brownsville area – The Diocese of Brownsville is accepting employment applications for a full-time (40 hours) chaplain for the Brownsville area. Interested qualified candidates should contact Human Resources at email@example.com and/or Eloisa Ackerman at firstname.lastname@example.org (956) 550-1545 and (956) 784-5018.
Job Openings – Catholic Schools
• Principal – Guadalupe Regional Middle School in Brownsville, which serves students from sixth to eighth grade, is seeking a principal. For more information, contact Michael Motyl at email@example.com
Openings at Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Schools in McAllen. Please submit résumé and college degree transcript with application, which may be picked up at the school, 1100 Gumwood Ave., McAllen. Call (956) 686-3651 for additional job description information.
• Middle School ELA teacher – classroom experienced and certified in content area.
• Middle School Religion Teacher – experienced and willing to work on certification if needed
• Elementary Self-Contained – Must have bachelor’s degree in education.
• Part-time Art Teacher – classroom experience with art degree
Calendar of Events
• June 5 – Misal Romano national workshop at Bishop Marx Conference Center, San Juan
• June 8-9 – Congreso Eucarístico para las Familias at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish, McAllen
• June 9 – Ordination of Deacon Oscar Ortega to the holy priesthood, St. Joseph Church, Brownsville
• June 10 – Ride for Hope at the Old Hidalgo Pumphouse Park, Hidalgo
Submit information to be included in the Weekly Update to Brenda Nettles Riojas, Director of Diocesan Relations, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to (956) 784-5082.