Lillian Frances Gorski, 95, mother of Franciscan Father Terrence Gorski, passed away on May 13 at San Juan Nursing Home.
Visitation will be held today, May 15 and Wednesday, May 16 from 5 to 9 p.m., with a 7 p.m. rosary at Memorial Funeral Home, 208 E. Canton Rd. in Edinburg. Funeral Mass will take place at 10 a.m. Thursday, May 17, at Holy Family Church in Edinburg. Interment will follow at Hillcrest Memorial Park in Edinburg.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Holy Family Church in Edinburg for the renovation of the sanctuary.
Diocese Marks World Communications Day
Bishop Daniel E. Flores hosted a brunch Tuesday with the local media in honor of World Communications Day, which is observed annually on the Sunday before Pentecost – when the disciples were empowered to spread the Good News of Christ Jesus.
More than 20 journalists attended the brunch at the Bishop Marx Conference Center in San Juan where Bishop Flores and Auxiliary Bishop Mario A. Avilés addressed the group.
The Pope’s message for World Communications Day 2018 is titled “The truth will set you free (Jn 8:32)”: Fake news and journalism for peace. The message is released each Jan. 24, the feast day of St. Francis de Sales, who is the patron of journalists.
Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church Set for Monday
Fulfilling a request of Pope Francis, the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments issued a decree dated Feb. 11, 2018 (Prot. n. 10/18) that inscribes a new Obligatory Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church, in the General Roman Calendar. The new celebration will be observed yearly on the Monday after Pentecost Sunday. The Congregation issued an additional notification on March 24, 2018 (Prot. n. 138/18) that clarified various aspects of the new memorial.
The Secretariat of Divine Worship from USSCB has offered the following interim guidance on the celebration of this memorial:
Mass – The Mass formulary is taken from the Roman Missal, Votive Masses, no. 10B (“Our Lady, Mother of the Church”). It includes a Collect, Prayer over the Offerings, Preface, Prayer after Communion, and Entrance and Communion Antiphons. White vestments are worn.
Lectionary – Readings have been assigned for the new memorial; the Congregation stated in its March 24 notification that these readings are proper. The readings are: Genesis 3:9-15, 20 or Acts 1:12-14; Psalm 87:1-2, 3 and 5, 6-7; and John 19:25-34. These texts (and the Gospel acclamation) are very close to those assigned for the Votive Mass of the same name (Lectionary, no. 1002-I), but there are some slight differences.
You may find more information and resources on the USCCB webpage dedicated to this Marian feast at http://www.usccb.org/about/divine-worship/liturgical-calendar/mother-of-the-church.cfm
The Office of Liturgy and Worship is happy to be of assistance to parishes and to answer any questions related to the Sacred Liturgy. They may be reached at (956) 787-8571 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Chancellor’s Office Announces Appointments/Changes
Effective Jan. 25, 2018
Appointed as members of Plaza Amistad Board of Directors:
• Rev. Alfonso M. Guevara
• Rev. Franciscus Asisi Eka Yuantoro, MSF
Effective April 25, 2018
• Rev. Kevin Collins, OMI, appointed Chaplain for the Serra Club of Brownsville, in conjunction with present assignment.
Effective April 26, 2018
• Ofelia De Los Santos, Diocesan Coordinator for Catholic Relief Services
• Miguel Santos relieved of responsibilities as Diocesan Coordinator for Catholic Relief Services
Effective April 26, 2018
Appointed as members of Plaza Amistad Board of Directors:
• Auxiliary Bishop Mario A. Avilés
• Mr. Kyndel Bennett
• Mr. Othal Brand
• Mr. Pete Cedillo Jr., CPA
• Ms. Lani Dolifka
• Ms. Starr Flores
• Rabbi Claudio Kogan, MD, MBE, MED
• Mr. Josue “Josh” Ramirez
• Ms. Vicki Shields
Angels & Saints Golf Classic to Benefit Oratory Schools
The inaugural Angels & Saints Golf Classic to benefit Pharr Oratory Schools education and athletics is set for May 19 at the Tierra Del Sol Golf Club in Pharr. Money raised will go to build a volleyball and basketball court for Oratory students, as well as a gymnasium.
The tournament will be held starting at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, May 19 at Tierra del Sol Golf Club, 700 E. Hall Acres Road in Pharr. Three-man team entry fee is $375; a mulligan package is $30 per player or $90 per team. First prize is a $600 Pro Shop credit per team. Second prize is a $450 Pro Shop credit per team, and third prize is a $300 Pro Shop credit per team.
Sponsors are needed; Angel ($3,000), Saint ($1,500), Oratorian ($750), and Hole ($150) levels of sponsorship are available. Contact Estela Salazar at (956) 907-1625 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Father Daughter Dance in McAllen
St. Joseph the Worker Church in McAllen is hosting a Father Daughter Dance at 6 p.m. at the parish hall. Cost is $40 per father/daughter ($5 per additional daughter) and includes dancing, music, dinner, activities and a 5×7 photo. For more information, call Gabriel Cabrera at (956) 533-6710.
St. Pius X Church to Host Graduation Mass
All high school and college graduates are invited to participate in the Graduation Mass at 11 a.m. on Sunday, May 20 at St. Pius X Church, 600 S. Oklahoma Ave. in Weslaco. Graduates, wear your cap and gown.
‘La II Semana de las Familias’ el 21 a 25 de mayo
La Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de San Juan de los Campos en Mission tiene el honor de invitar a todas las familias a formar parte de este magno evento llamado “La II Semana de las Familias”.
Esta fiesta espiritual es dedicada para todos los niños, jóvenes, adultos y matrimonios para renovar el sentido y los valores de la familia como base de una buena sociedad.
Este evento está lleno de actividades espirituales, formativas y de convivencia con sacerdotes y coros invitados, y la grata presencia de Nuestro Sr. Obispo Auxiliar, Mons. Mario Avilés.
Este año, con el lema de “Familia, semillero de vocaciones” nos unimos al buen Dios para que nos ilumine en nuestro discernimiento como familias. Los esperamos del 21 al 25 de mayo en punto de las 7:00pm en el salón parroquial.
MetLife/Brighthouse Representative to Visit Diocese
Mr. Mike Gonzalez, our MetLife/Brighthouse, representative, will be in the Valley again in May. We have reserved a conference room for him at the Basilica for Wednesday, May 30, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and the conference room at the Chancery Office on Thursday, May 31 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding any funds you may still have with Brighthouse, you are encouraged to stop by and visit with him in person.
Congreso Eucarístico Para Las Familias Programado Para Junio
El “Congreso Eucarístico para las Familias” se lleva a cabo el 2 de junio y el 8-9 de junio en la Parroquia Nuestra Señora del Perpetuo Socorro en McAllen.
Horario de eventos
sábado, 2 de junio: JESED – Ministerio de Musica, el Padre Juan Pablo Robles, y el Padre Martin de la Cruz
viernes, 8 de junio y sábado, 9 de junio: Rafael Piña con Diplomados en Sagradas Escrituras y Teología Bíblica
Para mayor información acerca del Congreso, se puede comunicar con el Diácono Santos Chapa (956) 651-2354
Ride for Hope Set for June 10
Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley and Sisters on Wheels, with the support of the Diocese of Brownsville, invites everyone to participate in a 20-mile bicycle ride or 5K Run to benefit the construction of the Humanitarian Respite Center in downtown McAllen.
The Ride for Hope is scheduled to begin at 8 a.m. Sunday, June 10, starting at the Old Hidalgo Pumphouse Park, located adjacent to the border wall, 902 S. 2nd. St., Hidalgo. Cyclists will ride a route along three cities: Hidalgo, Mission and McAllen. The route will end at the site of the future humanitarian respite center on the corner of Chicago Street and 16th Street in McAllen.
For non-cyclists, the option of a 5K walk or run along the Old Hidalgo Pumphouse border trail to enjoy a scenic path sure to impress all participants.
The donation per participant is $35. The first 100 individuals who register will receive a free event t-shirt. To register online, visit www.myraceregistration.com/rideforhope.
For more information, contact Carmen Castrejon (956) 884-7801 or via email email@example.com
Mark your calendar
Train the Trainers Session Planned for July
Walter Lukaszek will offer a summer “Train the Trainers for Protecting God’s Children,” for those interested in becoming facilitators in your parish, from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, July 14 at the Bishop Fitzpatrick building, Madonna Room in San Juan. There is no charge. Please reserve your attendance by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call Walter Lukaszek (956) 457-0010 (cell). Please provide name, language preferred and contact information. Reservations are strongly encouraged to ensure space and materials will be available.
Entrenamiento Para el Programa Protegiendo a los Niños de Dios
Walter Lukaszek estará ofreciendo un curso de verano “Como impartir el programa para proteger a los hijos de Dios”, este programa es para aquellos que están interesados en ser facilitadores en su parroquia. Este curso se llevara a cabo el día 14 de Junio 2018 de 10:00 am-12:00 pm, en el edificio Bishop John Fitzpatrick, Sala Madonna en San Juan. No hay ningún cargo, solo se necesita saber quién vendrá para que haya folletos suficientes. Por favor reserve su asistencia por correo electrónico: email@example.com o llame a Walter Lukaszek al (956) 457-0010 (celular). Necesita el nombre, el idioma preferido y la información de contacto.
Save the date
Fighting Hunger: Girls Stewardship Retreat Set For Mid-July
One in five school-age children in Texas don’t have enough food to eat. Girls from 12-16 years old can learn how to fight hunger in their communities at the 3rd Annual Girls Stewardship Retreat at the Food Bank of the Rio Grande Valley. Topics will include how food is grown, harvested and distributed.
The retreat is set for 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, July 14, at the Food Bank of the Rio Grande Valley, 724 N. Cage Blvd. in Pharr. For more information or to register, contact the Stewardship & Development Office at (956) 784-5095 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Natural Family Planning Seminars Offered
Learn about the scientifically proven Billings Ovulation Method®, which allows couples to plan their families and manage fertility naturally. The seminar provides instruction on:
• Postponing pregnancy
• Achieving pregnancy -for couples with infertility problems
• Monitoring women’s reproductive health
The seminars will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at St. John the Baptist Parish, 216 W. First St. in San Juan. Donation is $25.
Choose one date (All dates fall on a Saturday)
English: June 9, Aug. 11, Oct. 13, Dec. 8
Spanish: July 14, Sept. 8, Nov. 10
To register, call Lydia Mendez at (956) 534-4895. Online registration is also available at www.simplenatural.org/events/
Marian Sanctuaries Pilgrimage Scheduled June 30-July 7
Our Lady, Queen of Angels Catholic Church, in La Joya, under the spiritual direction of Father Jesse Garza, is organizing a pilgrimage to some of the most important Marian Shrines in Mexico from June 30 – July 7 (Saturday to Saturday). The pilgrimage includes airfare from/to Reynosa/Cd de Mexico. We will visit Coyoacán, Xochimilco, Guadalupe, San Juan De Los Lagos, Cristo Rey, San Miguel de Allende, Atotonilco, Santa Rosa de Viterbo, Schoenstatt, etc. Price is $990.00 pp/dbl. A passport (book for Americans) is required. For additional information contact the parish office at (956) 585-5223 or Aida at (956) 227-8192.
Summer Pilgrimage to the Holy Land, Assisi and Rome Planned
Father Arturo Cardenas, parochial vicar of Parish of the Lord of Divine Mercy in Brownsville, is organizing a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, Assisi and Rome from June 15-28. The cost is $4,390 and includes round-trip flight from McAllen, four-star hotel accommodations, English/Spanish-speaking tour guides, deluxe coach ground transportation and more. For more information or to make a reservation, call (956) 800-2433 or email email@example.com
Summer Pilgrimage to Italy set for July 16-26
Father Carlos Zuniga and St. Pius X Church in Weslaco are organizing a pilgrimage from July 16-26. The pilgrimage will begin at St. Peter’s Square, at the Basilica of St. John the Lateran, Rome. The pilgrimage includes visits to San Giovanni Rotondo, Lanciano, Assisi, Siena, and Loreto. The total cost for the trip, which includes roundtrip airfare, hotel, tour bus, and two daily meals, is $3,590. Father Carlos Zuniga will serve as spiritual director. Those interested in this pilgrimage should call the parish office at (956) 968-7471 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Divine Mercy Pilgrimage to Poland, Medjugorje Set for the Fall
Our Lady of Sorrows Parish in McAllen is hosting a pilgrimage to Poland with an optional extension to Medjugorje Sept. 22-Oct. 3. Highlights include visits to the Divine Mercy Shrine in Krakow, the St. John Paul II Cultural Center, Wawel Castle and the old town of Krakow. Cost for the Poland tour is $3,785 per person based on double occupancy. The optional trip to Medjugorje includes additional flight from Krakow to Sarajevo, accommodations for four nights and more. The Poland and Medjugorje price is $4,295 per person. For more information, contact Deacon Johnny Gonzalez, spiritual director, at (956) 607-3008.
• Director of Religious Education (full time) – Our Lady of Sorrows Church in McAllen is seeking a director of religious education focusing on elementary, middle school, and RCIA for children. Salary plus benefits. This full-time position is under the supervision of the pastor. Submit letter of interest and resume by email to: email@example.com. For more information, including job description visit: http://www.oladyofsorrows.org/employment-oportunities.html
• Associate Director, Family Life Office – The Diocese of Brownsville is accepting applications for an associate director of the Family Life Office. Interested qualified candidates may contact Lydia Pesina, director of the Family Life Office, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Genie Trevino, director of human resources, at email@example.com
• Director of Religious Education (part-time) – St. Paul Parish in Mission. This is a part-time position under the direct supervision of the pastor. Responsibilities include maintaining a comprehensive parish catechetical program for children, youth and adults. Please submit résumé by mail 1119 Francisco Ave., Mission, TX 78572; fax (956) 581-4801 or in person at the parish office.
• Assistant CRE – Queen of Peace Parish in Harlingen is seeking an assistant coordinator of religious education with special focus on Adult Faith Formation and RCIA; additional liturgical coordination responsibilities. Full-time position; 35 hours/week; weekends required; salary plus benefits including diocesan health insurance. Submit résumé with salary requirements to Father Robert Charlton, SS.CC. at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Queen of Peace Church, 1509 New Combes Highway, Harlingen TX 78550. Please, no phone calls or office visits prior to submitting résumé.
• Assistant Project Manager – La Merced Homes is accepting employment applications for a full time assistant project manager. Interested qualified candidates should call La Merced Homes at (956) 565-2622.
• Youth Minister – Mary, Mother of the Church Parish in Brownsville is accepting employment applications for a youth minister (20 hours a week). Interested qualified candidates please contact the parish at (956) 546-3800.
• Chaplain – Brownsville area – The Diocese of Brownsville is accepting employment applications for a full-time (40 hours) chaplain for the Brownsville area. Interested qualified candidates should contact Human Resources at email@example.com and/or Eloisa Ackerman at firstname.lastname@example.org (956) 550-1545 and (956) 784-5018.
Job Openings – Catholic Schools
• Principal – Guadalupe Regional Middle School in Brownsville, which serves students from sixth to eighth grade, is seeking a principal. For more information, contact Michael Motyl at email@example.com
Openings at Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Schools in McAllen. Please submit résumé and college degree transcript with application, which may be picked up at the school, 1100 Gumwood Ave, McAllen. Call (956) 686-3651 for additional job description information.
• Middle School ELA teacher – classroom experienced and certified in content area.
• Middle School Religion Teacher – experienced and willing to work on certification if needed
• Elementary Self-Contained – Must have Bachelor degree in Education
• Part-time art teacher – classroom experience with art degree
Openings at Juan Diego Academy, a Catholic regional high school in Mission. Persons seeking employment for a teaching or library position should download the application for employment found on the school’s web site (www.juandiegoacademy.org) and submit with résumé (include three professional references) by e-mail to: Juandiegoacademy@cdobcs.org or fax to (956) 583-3782.
• Principal – Applicant must email a letter of interest along with a résumé, essay and official transcripts to Beatriz Gonzalez, Chairperson, Board of Trustees at Jdaboard12@gmail.com
• English Teacher (part-time) – Texas Teaching Certificate and experience preferred.
• Math Teacher (part-time) – Texas Teaching Certificate and experience preferred.
• Librarian (part-time) – Master’s degree in Library Science or Bachelor’s degree with Learning Resources Endorsement required, along with evidence of proficiency in the use of information technology resources.
Calendar of Events
• May 19 – Oratory Schools Angels & Saints Golf Tournament in Pharr
• May 19 – Father and Daughter Dance at St. Joseph the Worker Parish in McAllen
• May 20 – Pentecost Sunday
• May 20 – Graduation Mass at St. Pius X Church in Weslaco
Submit information to be included in the Weekly Update to Brenda Nettles Riojas, Director of Diocesan Relations, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to (956) 784-5082.