Please mark your calendars:
Safety Training for Diocesan Employees
Catholic Mutual will be providing safety training to diocesan employees primarily in the areas of maintenance, housekeeping and groundskeeping. Lifting, pushing and carrying are some of the items that will be covered. Ladder safety is also on the list of items to be discussed. The training will be bilingual (Spanish and English). Pastors and administrators are encouraged to send their maintenance staff to this training, which is free. It will be held in the San Anselmo Room at the San Juan Pastoral Center from 9- 11 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 7. Please email the names of those attending to Genie Treviño, director of Human Resources, at email@example.com so that she can prepare accordingly.
Customer Service Training for Diocesan Employees
The Diocese of Brownsville is offering one-day sessions of customer service training for its employees and associates. This year’s training will include some concepts similar to the Good Leaders, Good Shepherds workshops our priests have been attending. A day of training is scheduled in both the upper and lower Valley on the following dates:
• Nov. 28 in Brownsville: 9 a.m.- 4 p.m. at St. Mary’s Parish Hall.
• Nov. 29 in San Juan: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. in the San Anselmo Classroom at the Pastoral Center.
The workshops are free to all diocesan entities. More information will follow as the dates get closer.
Save the date
Bishop’s Annual Dinner
The 2018 Bishop’s Annual Dinner is set for 6-p.m.-12 midnight on Friday, Nov. 30 at the St. Joan of Arc Parish Hall in Weslaco. This event benefits the Bishop’s charities throughout the Diocese of Brownsville, and features live music, silent and live auctions, drinks, food and fun. To reserve a table, donate or become a sponsor, please contact Rosie Rodriguez at (956) 784-5062 or firstname.lastname@example.org; or Jesse Salinas at (956) 784-5095 or email@example.com.
Protecting God’s Children: Train the Trainers
A Train the Trainers for “Protecting God’s Children” class is scheduled for Nov. 10. The class will be from 10 a.m.-12 noon in the Madonna Room of the Bishop Fitzpatrick Building at the Pastoral Center in San Juan. The class is for those who would like to present this program in their parish for religious educational staff and parents. You may attend either day and be certified to train. There is no cost for the training.
To register, please call Walter Lukaszek at (956) 457-0010 or e-mail Wlukaszek@cdob.org to let him know you would like to attend.
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish’s Cowboy Roundup Nov. 10
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish has set its annual family celebration with the theme “Cowboy Roundup” for 4-10 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 10 on the parish grounds at 2209 Kendlewood Ave. in McAllen. Raffle tickets are on sale at the parish office. For more information, call (956) 682-4238.
Turkeyfest Nov. 10 in Edinburg
St. Joseph Catholic School in Edinburg will have its 18th Annual Turkeyfest on Saturday, Nov. 10 from 11 a.m.-9 p.m. The event features live and silent auctions as well as carnival rides and games, bingo, vendors and food booths. St. Joseph Church is at 114 W. Fay in Edinburg. For more information, call (956) 383-3728.
Fall Festival in Faysville at St. Theresa Catholic Mission
St. Theresa Catholic Mission in Faysville will have its fall festival from 10 a.m.- 8 p.m. on Nov. 17. The event will include a Chalupa Bingo with more than 100 prizes $15 for 3 cards — play all day, no outside cards; a raffle; lots of food booths, rides for the children, games for the youth.
Music for all ages. Vendor booths will be available; for more information, call Eva or Juan Reyes at (956) 457-9928. Everyone is invited. St. Theresa Catholic Mission is at 205 Jefferson Ave. in in Faysville, just east of I-69C/U.S. 281. For more information, call the church office at (956) 383-5880.
Live Dramatic Performances: ‘Maximilian, Saint of Auschwitz’
Fountain of Mercy Ministries and St. Luke Productions are presenting the one-man drama, “Maximilian, Saint of Auschwitz,” featuring Leonardo DeFilippis as Maximilian Kolbe.
There will be five performances in the Rio Grande Valley, each scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.:
• The first performance on Friday, Nov. 30 is hosted by St. Mary’s Catholic School and will take place at Immaculate Conception Auditorium at 1235 E. Jefferson in Brownsville.
• The Saturday, Dec. 1 presentation will be hosted by St. Anthony’s Catholic School and will take place at the St. Anthony Community Center at 1015 E. Harrison Ave. in Harlingen.
• Dec. 2 (Sunday), hosted by St. Joseph Catholic School in the school gym at 119 W. Fay St. in Edinburg.
• Dec. 3 (Monday), hosted by Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic School, in the OLS gym at 1100 Gumwood Ave. in McAllen.
• Last performance – Tuesday, Dec. 4, hosted by the Pharr Oratory of St. Philip Neri in the school cafeteria at 1407 W. Moore Road in Pharr.
Tickets are available at each host school and at Fountain of Mercy Ministries located at 448 S. Texas Blvd. in Weslaco. Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for students, and $10 for adults 65 and older. For tickets or more information, call (956) 351-5978.
Natural Family Planning Seminars Offered
Learn about the scientifically proven Billings Ovulation Method®, which allows couples to plan their families and manage fertility naturally. The seminar provides instruction on:
• Postponing pregnancy
• Achieving pregnancy – for couples with infertility problems
• Monitoring women’s reproductive health
The seminars will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at St. John the Baptist Parish, 216 W. First St. in San Juan and are free of charge.
Choose one date (All dates fall on a Saturday)
English: Dec. 8
Spanish: Nov. 10
To register, call Lydia Mendez at (956) 534-4895. Online registration is also available at www.simplenatural.org/events/
Annual Kermes at Sacred Heart Catholic Church set for Nov. 10
Sacred Heart Church, located at 1100 N. Broadway in Elsa, is having its Annual Kermes from 4-10 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 10, with live music by Sabas Entertainment, professional clown services, mariachi, DJ music, good food, games, chalupa bingo with new prizes, and free kids’ carnival rides (5-9 p.m.). Raffle ticket sales $5 with 3 chances to win prizes. Need not be present to win. Twelve prizes with the Grand prize of a John Deere Z-Track riding mover with the 54-inch cutting deck and 24 HP gasoline-powered engine.
For more information, call the Parish office at (956) 262-1406.
Chiapas Pilgrimage with Father Jesse Garza Nov. 10-17
Our Lady, Star of the Sea Catholic Church, in Port Isabel, under the spiritual direction of Father Jesse Garza, is organizing a pilgrimage to some of the most attractive places in Southeast Mexico from November 10 – 17 (Saturday to Saturday). The pilgrimage includes transportation and airfare from McAllen-Monterrey-Tuxtla Gutierrez (Chiapas), and back from Villahermosa (Tabasco)-Monterrey-McAllen. We will celebrate Mass every day in some of the most beautiful churches in the area, then we will visit “El Sumidero Canyon,” Chiapa de Corzo, San Cristóbal de las Casas, Lagos de Montebello, San Juan Chamula, Zinacantan, Villahermosa, Palenque, “Agua Azul” Waterfalls, and “La Venta” Nature Park and Museum, among others. Price is $1,150 pp/dbl. A passport (book for Americans) is required. For more information, call the parish office at (956) 943-1297 or Aida at (956) 227-8192.
Market Square at Holy Spirit Parish
The Holy Spirit Church Catholic Daughters present Market Square 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 11 in the Holy Spirit Parish Hall, 2201 Martin Ave. in McAllen. The market will feature 60 vendors offering:
• silver and fashion jewelry
• outdoor décor
• vintage refurbished items
• holiday garden décor and plants
• specialty dancewear
The Market Square also will have a raffle, silent auction, snack bar, pictures with St. Nick, letters to St. Nick and cookie decorating.
Follow us on Facebook page: Market Square by CDA Group Catholic Daughters of the Americas Court 2540. For more information, call Maria Luisa Guerra at (956) 648-0233 or the parish office at (956) 631-5295.
Fiesta Nov. 25 at Christ the King Parish in Brownsville
Christ the King Parish will have its annual Fiesta on Sunday, Nov. 25, beginning with Mass at 11 a.m. The festivities run from 5-11 p.m., including food, live music and entertainment. Everyone is invited to this event, which will be held on the parish grounds at 2255 Southmost Road in Brownsville. For more information, call the parish office at (956) 546-1982.
Pilgrimage to the Holy Land, Jordan Nov. 19-30
Father Francisco Solis, pastor of St. Joan of Arc Parish in Weslaco, is leading a pilgrimage to the Holy Land and Jordan, which will include visits to key biblical sites. Cost per person is $4,369 per person (double occupancy) and includes airfare, ground transportation, hotel, meals, tours and more. Reserve your space today. For more information, contact St. Joan of Arc Parish at (956) 968-3670.
Job Openings – Diocese
• Freelance writer/reporter – The Communications Office of the Diocese of Brownsville is seeking a writer to report and write feature and news stories for publication in The Valley Catholic newspaper and posting on the diocesan website and social media outlets. Journalism experience preferred. Writers with samples should contact Paul Binz, communications associate, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (956) 784-5055.
• Intern – Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley – Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley has an opening for a Catholic Campaign For Human Development Internship.
Catholic Campaign for Human Development (CCHD) is the domestic anti-poverty social justice program of the United States Catholic Bishops. CCHD grants local anti-poverty efforts that are in close partnership with local Catholic dioceses an opportunity to improve their communities by supporting organizations led by low-income individuals. The CCHD internship position is an opportunity to gain experience working with and on behalf of the poor while learning more about social justice education, Catholic social teaching and poverty relief. Interns will have an opportunity to develop relationships with local community leaders and other CCHD interns across the United States.
We encourage those who have the following relevant areas of interest or study to apply: theology, communication, public service, sociology, social work, education, liberal arts, political science, and religious studies and more.
Please send resumes to Michelle Nuñez at email@example.com.
Job Openings – Parishes
• Parish Secretary (part-time) – Sacred Heart Church needs a part-time secretary (30 hours a week). Please forward resumes to the pastor, Father Juan Manuel Salazar, at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off at the parish office at 208 E. Camelia St. in Hidalgo.
Job Openings – Catholic Schools
Opening at the Pharr Oratory of St. Philip Neri School System. Please submit resume and college degree transcript with application (https.//www.oratoryschools.org/job-opportunities)
• Middle School Science Teacher – classroom experienced and certified in content area.
Send all the information to Sylvia Diaz, email@example.com, Fax: (956) 787-1516; phone: (956) 781-3056
Openings at Juan Diego Academy in Mission. Email resumes to Aldo Bertini at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Part-time Religion Teacher – This position requires a bachelor’s degree in theology.
• Part-time Golf Coach
Calendar of Events
• Nov. 10 – Train the Trainers class 10 a.m.-12 noon in the Madonna Room of the Bishop Fitzpatrick Building at the Pastoral Center in San Juan.
• Nov. 10 – Cowboy Roundup at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish Saturday in McAllen.
• Nov. 10 – 18th Annual Turkeyfest at St. Joseph Catholic School Saturday in Edinburg.
• Nov. 11 – Market Square with 60 vendors Sunday at Holy Spirit Church Parish Hall in McAllen.
Submit information to be included in the Weekly Update to Brenda Nettles Riojas, Director of Diocesan Relations, by e-mail at email@example.com or by fax to (956) 784-5082.